Scrying

Scrying is a means of foretelling the future, gazing into the past and interpreting the present by gazing onto a flat still surface. Each practitioner may use something different from which to scry. You can use almost any reflective surface to scry from. If you use a crystal ball make sure it is flawless or the flaws will distort the images you are trying to see.
The best time to scry is during the Full Moon and your scrying tools should be consecrated by moonlight (not sunlight) - and during the Waxing moon.
    The most common media used for scrying are:
Crystal balls, crystals, precious stones, polished quartz, or another transparent body; this is called crystallomancy. Sometimes "crystal gazing" refers specifically to crystallomancy. Crystal balls are also called shew stones. A stone or crystal is also called a seerstone or peepstone. 

Water or another liquid; this is called hydromancy. 

Mirrors; this is called catoptromancy, also known as captromancy, enoptromancy, or mirror gazing. 

Specific objects that have been used for scrying include:
a pool of ink in the hand (Egypt) 
the liver of an animal (tribes of the North-West Indian frontier)
a hole filled with water (Polynesia)
quartz crystals (the Apachesand the Euahlayi tribe of New South Wales)
a smooth slab of polished black stone (the Huille-che of South America)
water in a vessel (Zulus and Siberians)
a crystal (the Incas)
a mirror (classical Greece and the Middle Ages)
a fingernail
a sword-blade
a ring-stone
a glass of sherry
the burning of a poppy flower-bud on hot coals
a flat, polished portion of obsidian
(the above lists are from www.wickipedia.com)

Crystallomancy
Scrying with a Crystal Ball:
Rest the ball on a background of black cloth or paper. (The black background is to help the eye focus on the ball alone). It is best to scry in a temple or your sacred space (as your psychie is most comfortable here in using great power). Also I always suggest working this kind of magick within a circle as you are vulnerable to negative energies while focused on the reading. Have a candle for illumination - but not so that the flame is seen in the ball - so the candle must be close enough to see but not close enough to reflect. Your favorite incense may help you concentrate.

I sit in my circle in front of my crystal ball and imagine my circle filling with the most beautiful white light, until all the space around me is soft and bright. I close my eyes and take several deep breathes forcing my body to relax and my mind to quiet. Slowly, I open my eyed gazing softly (not forcing my eyes to focus on anything in particular) at the crystal ball - trying to keep my mind blank. After a time (anywhere from a couple of minutes to like 15 depending on your skill level at keeping you mind blank) the white misty light will shift from being all around me to being within my Ball. It gradually grows more and more dense. Eventually (again a couple of minutes have past) the White mist thins from within the Ball - leaving behind a scene (like a t.v. or a snow globe) It might vary from black-white to color or be moving-still; it might be from the past, present, future. It is also most likely to be a symbolic scene - meaning it is not the definite representation of what will (has) happened, but a scene I would relate to something that will (has) happened. When I first started I had no control over what was shown or how long the image lasted (generally because I was thinking too much) - but over time I learned to keep my MIND clear but my WILL focused on what I wished to see. So, the images may be slightly erratic at first- Keep a pad and pencil near by and write absently while not taking your eyes off of the ball. You will probably end up with a list like the following: dog, cloud, woman, child, running, grave, etc.

Interpret the list by thinking of the question you had in mind before starting the process. Most of the images listed in the list - dog, child, woman, relate to family. The cloud, grave and running might signify stress or upheaval in the near future. Etc.

Hydromancy 
Using a cup/plate/bowl/pool whatever of water or any other liquid - is very similar and follows the same technique as the Crystal Ball. I started with my Chalice outside during a full moon. The moon reflects slightly off of the water (like the candle to the crystal).

Pyromancy 
Using a fire as your focus. Works best with a bonfire as opposed to a candle as the candle flame is too steady. When the fire has burned down, add a handful of cedar chips. Sit a safe distance from the fire. Cast your circle around the fire. Proceed with the same procedure as above once the fire has burnt mostly to embers

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment